So now I’m back on my low carb bandwagon and have sworn off all baked goodie. Ummm scratch that... I’ve sworn off all baked goodies made with sugar and flour. Now that doesn’t sound QUITE so bad.
How about Cheesecake?
I love cheesecake, and these little cheesecake gems are allowed on my diet. With a short list of ingredients (cream cheese, Splenda, egg, and vanilla) they pack only 4.7 carbs per serving. If you add the macadamia nut crust they zoom to 5.5 carbs per serving.
Be still my Low-Carb heart.
The recipe starts out with a nut crust. I use macadamia nuts nuts because they have the lowest carb count, but you can also use almonds, pecans, cashews, or a combination of all four. I can never find unsalted macs (at a good price) so I just buy the regular and wash and dry them off before chopping.
I chop the nuts, mixed them with a little butter and Splenda, and then evenly divide the mixture between the 7 cupcake liners (use the aluminum liners because the paper ones will absorb the butter and make a mess in your pan). Next I press the chopped nuts firmly into the liners. I have a vitamin bottle that is the perfect shape for this. Just wrap it in an aluminum cupcake liner and flatten the nuts against the bottom of the pan.
Bake the crust for 8 minutes...
And then cover with the filling...
Just out of the oven they a high and puffy...
But they will deflate as they cool...
Hope you like these as much as I do. They are a sanity saver when you are on a low-carb diet. These little bit of sweet, baked goodness keeps me strong and helps me avoid the really bad (really good) stuff.
Low Carb - Mini Macadamia Nut Cheese Cakes
(yield 7 servings; 5.52 carbs per serving)
Crust (optional) - total carbs: 5.5g; carbs per serving: 0.79g
2 oz unsalted macadamia nuts , finely chopped; (net carbs: 4; 8 carbs - 4 fiber)
1 Tablespoon Butter, melted ( carbs = 0)
1 Tablespoon granulated Splenda (carbs = 1.5)
Filling - total carbs: 33.1; carbs per serving: 4.73
1 block Regular Cream Cheese (8oz), softened (carbs = 8)
1 cup baking Splenda (carbs = 24)
1 large egg (carbs = 0.6)
1 teaspoon vanilla (carbs = 0.5)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl blend the chopped nuts, 1 TBL melted butter, and 1 TBL Splenda.
- Spoon the nut mixture evenly between the 7 cupcake liners.
- Press/compact the nut mixture firmly into the liner. I use a vitamin bottle wrapped in a foil cupcake liner wrap to compress the nut mixture. The vitamin bottle is the perfect fit for the cupcake pan.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes. Note: it may smoke slightly
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- Cream the cream cheese and Splenda until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes
- Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until incorporated
- Spoon the filling on top of the hot nut crust.
- Bake 25 minutes until tops are golden brown.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer after they cool.