Saturday, November 23, 2019

Messy Teenager Bed Cake

My next door neighbor asked for a Messy Bedroom cake for her daughter.  LOL.  I can relate to Raelynn's messy, borderline hoarder personality.




This cake started with the bed.  This is a photo of Raelynn's real bedroom - after her mom made her clean it up.  I wanted to make the cake resemble her room so she would recognize it.


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

First I made the headboard and foot board of the bed out of gum paste.  I used a PME #3 strip cutter to make all the molding strips the same width.


After making the bed's two sideboards, I propped all four pieces up with a piece of Styrofoam and then glued everything together. To make the glue I mix gum paste with some water and smash and stir it together to make a thick paste.  It dries just as hard and strong as the original gum paste.


I covered another pieces of Styrofoam with pink fondant and used this as the sheet covered mattress.  I could have used cake or rice crispy treats for the mattress and box spring sections, but I wanted Raelynn to be able to keep the bed.


I used a face mold for the head and face and fashioned a stick figure body.  I didn't put any effort into the body because I knew it would be covered with a fondant blanket.  For the pattern on the blanket I used wooden ink stamps.  And that thing poking up at waist level is her arm and hand.  I didn't like how it looked so I later covered it with a book.


I made some hair from thin strings of fondant...


And then stuck the hair onto the gum paste head.


I had planned on covering the cake with wood-like flooring, but I was running short on time so I just made a big rug.  I used an impression mat to put a pattern/texture on the fondant rug, and I used some cheap-o crimping tools to give the edge of the rug a finished look.


Next I made the cloths - lots and lots of cloths.  I used images of paper doll clothing as templates and cut my fondant clothing to match.  I also made some hats, shoes, a backpack, a hairdryer, a Starbucks cup, some electronics (a teenage girl must have a phone), and some books.


For the letter on the cake I used FMM alphabet Tappits.  I used the block letter set and the funky  letter set.

And guess what?  Raelynn did recognize it as her room.  She kept screaming, "That's my room."


Happy Decorating,

Carol


Supply List: 

Satin Ice Gum Paste
Face Mold
PME #3 Strip Cutter
Wooden Stamp Set
Crimping Tools
FMM Uppercase Funky Alphabet



No comments:

Post a Comment