Saturday, July 18, 2020

Monogrammed Floral & Leaf Flourish Cookies

I made these monogrammed cookies to test out a set of cookie cutters that I purchased and never got to use.  The cutters were for a baby shower with a "greenery" theme.  The party got canceled due to State mandated lock-downs - damn you Covid-19! 


The cutters came from an Etsy shop called Bobbi's Cutters.  The banner cutter is called Andy Kay's Leaf Flourish Banner, and the other two cutters are called Leaf Flourish #1 and Leaf Flourish #2.  The #2 is a 2.5" cookie, but it was a little on the small side so I might buy the 3.0" to add to the collection.

I don't like royal icing (yuck), so the cookies are iced using Toba Garrette's glace recipe.  The glace is runnier and more difficult to work with than royal icing, but the glace dries semi-hard and shiny and it doesn't chip teeth when you bite into it - always a plus.

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

For the monogram I used FMM's Upper Cake Funky Alphabet Tappit Cutters, and I painted them with edible gold luster dust mixed with Everclear.  I could have pipped the letter onto the cookie, but I didn't feel like mixing up a batch of royal icing - I'm so lazy sometimes.  I also didn't feel like setting up my mini projector just for a few cookies.  I suck at lettering on cookies so I never do it freehand.  I always project the text onto the cookie and use the projected image as a guide.  My Pico (what mini projectors are called), is one of my favorite tools.

For the flowers I again took the lazy route.  Instead of piping them from royal icing, I just cut the flowers from Bright White Choco Pan Modeling Chocolate that I tinted a Creamy Peach color.  I used a Hydrangea cutter and veiner, and I dusted the petals with a little pink powder food color to give them some depth.   A gold sugar pearl was used for the center, and I also sprinkled edible gold glitter flakes on the cookies to give them added sparkle.


So I was happy with the cookies, but my FaceBook followers (ie my family) weren't too impressed.  I'm not sure why; I thought they were pretty.

Happy Decorating,

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment