Sunday, September 26, 2021

Multicolored Highland Cow Cake

Highland Cow Cakes are the thing right now.  I'm seeing them everywhere.  Here is one I made for my sister-in-law's niece.

It started as a 9"x13" red velvet cake sheet cake.  I cut the sheet cake in half making two 9"x6.5" cakes that I stacked (with filling between the two layers) to give me a cake about  3-1/2" tall.  I then carved the cake into a rough head shape, cutting shallow depressions for the eyes and building the forehead and nose bridge a little higher.  The carving process didn't leave me with many cake scraps, so I had to make the ears by piecing smaller scraps together.   I didn't worry too much about the carving right because everything was going to be covered in fondant strings/ropes.  I just wanted the general shape.


Here is the pattern I used for the cake.

Once the cake was carved crumb coat and chilled, I then covered the cake in a thin layer of white chocolate ganache which gives a firmer base for the fondant.


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I made the horns from white fondant mixed with Tylose Powder.  The Tylose power (also called Gum-Tex and CMC) causes the fondant to harden and allows it to keep its shape without flopping over.  The more Tylose you add to the fondant the harder the fondant will become.  This is a cheaper alternative to using gum paste.  

For the cow's nose I used Wilton Chocolate fondant.   I cut the nostrils out of the chocolate brown fondant and backed the area with some black fondant.  For the lower jaw, I used the same brown fondant mixed with Tylose so it would hold its shape.

For the eye, I started with a brown oval shape then added a white circle of fondant and then a black circle of fondant.  I added some white fondant highlights to the black part of the eye, and added some thin strips of brown fondant for the eyelids.

I attached the nose and lower jaw to the cake.  I also added a thin piece of black between the nose and lower jaw to cover the white area.

The eye went on and then the pink tongue.  

Then came the time consuming part: putting on all the stands of hair.  I tinted a bunch of fondant in shades of orange, yellow, red, pink, purple, blue and green.  Then used my Ace food safe extruder to make long strands of fondant.  I covered all the strands with plastic wrap to keep the fondant from drying and getting cracked.  FYI: you could also just roll the stands of hair by hand.  I started doing this in the end because it was so time consuming to use the extruder.

I cut pieces from the long strands to match the size of the area where the hair was being placed and started positioning the hair.


When I reached the top of the head I added the horns and added more hair around them.

As a final touch I added some brown eyelashes to the eye, and a flower in the cow's mouth.  In hindsight I should have added the second eye peaking through the strands of hair.  I think that would have looked better.  Oh well....

But regardless, Hanna loved it.  Happy Birthday, Hanna!


Happy Decorating,

Carol


13 comments:

  1. What size board did you put this on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About how many servings would you say this cake makes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you cut out the cake from a 9x13.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I added more explanation about how I carved the cake, and I also added the pattern I used to carve the cake and to make the horns, nose, and mouth. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Awesome tutorial!

      Delete
  4. What did you charge for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The cake was for family so I didn't charge anything, but I would probably charge around $100 for it (PS: I'm a hobby barker and not a professional so I'm not very good at pricing cakes). The cake carving and construction was simple, but it took a few hours to color and roll out the strands of fondant.

      Delete
  5. How much fondant did this take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know exactly, but I think around 3 lbs. My extruder can hold about 2-1/2 ounces of fondant, and based on the number of strands I have pictured that would give me about 2.3 lbs. But I had to color more fondant because what I originally made wasn't enough, and the mouth and nose took a good bit of chocolate fondant. So best guess is about 3+ lbs, but don't quote me on that. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Awesome thank you so much I’ll be attempting this cake for my sister in laws 40th this weekend

      Delete