Sunday, January 16, 2022

White Orchids on a Navy and White Cake

Technique-wise there is nothing elaborate or complicated about this cake, but nevertheless I love how it came out.  It looks elegant, and I normally suck at making elegant.  LOL.   The customer ordered a cake for his wife's 30th birthday, and he was very specific about what he wanted: navy and white marbled for the bottom tier, white for the top tier, and 2-3 white orchids.  That is it.  He wanted simple and elegant.  


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

For the orchids I used a cutter and veiner set, and I used this veining board to help insert the wire into the petals.   I also cut the 3 pronged Sepal piece into three separate petals and wired each one individually.  Making the flowers was actually an easy process.


I used pink edible marker to draw the lines and dots on the Lip of the flower, and I dusted the edge of the Lip with some yellow petal dust. 


On construction day I stacked my cakes and iced them using white chocolate ganache.  I always use ganache under fondant because it gives a firmer base than buttercream.  I also use acrylic cake disks to get the razor sharp edges.  If you want to read more about the process, click HERE.  

For the marbled tier I used Carma Massa Ticcino fondant.  I refrigerate my cakes and live in a hot/humid environment so I need a fondant that won't sweat and sag when it hits 100 degree F temperatures, but sadly I've been told this fondant has been discontinued.    Anyway, I made three shades of navy using Wilton's Royal Blue and a touch of Black.  (The color came out a little too bright to be true Navy, so I might have to try Americolor's Navy Blue next time.)  For the 10" base tier I need 800 grams of fondant so I marbled 700 grams of white with my 3 premixed shades of  navy (100 g total of navy).  I didn't combine the colors too much because I wanted the marbling to be sharp.  I also put some gold accent lines where the darker navy lines met the white.  I mixed gold luster dust with Everclean and painted on the lines with a very thin brush. 

I stacked the tiers and added some white sugar pearls at the base of the top tier, and then I just added the branch of orchids to the cake.  See, easy as cake.   :-) 


Happy Decorating,


Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment