Saturday, December 17, 2022

Glow In The Dark Cake

I was a little skeptical that "glow in the dark" food coloring would actually work - 

but it did.  

AMAZING!!  

Here is a cake under UV / black light. 


  And here it is under regular light.


What a difference!!


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I used the ROLKEM brand of Lumo UV Fluorescent colors and I tried both the powder and liquid versions.  Both the powder and liquid worked equally well, but the liquid made the fondant a little sticky due to the added moister.  I will opt for the powder if I ever need to buy more.

Here are the colors mixed into Wilton white fondant. Not all of the colors glowed as brightly, but they all had some shimmer.  And I did notice that if you positioned the non-glowing colors closer to the UV light, then the color got more luminous.  The Astral Pink (1), the Lunar Yellow (2), and the ARC Chrome (7) glowed the most.  The Voila (3) and the Pinkilicious (6) glowed the least, and the Comet Blue (5), and Stellar Green (4) had an adequate glow.


Here is the glow in the dark fondant going onto the cake.  I had the UV light on as I decorated the cake to make sure I had high-intensity glow in all the right places.  I used a JEM PME strip cutter to cut the long strip and tiny circle cutters for the circles.  The lettering is FMM Tappits Funky Alphabet Cutter Upper and Lower Case.


So this was a very interesting cake to make.  Man I love that glow...


And here is another Glow cake I made recently.  These are so much fun!


Happy Decorating,

Carol

7 comments:

  1. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was so helpful! Thank you. How much glow powder would I need to add to each fondant ball? Is a lot needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, It didn't take much powder at all. Maybe a 1/16 th of a teaspoon (if that).

      Delete
  3. Is the black fondant too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, No the black is American buttercream. Just need LOTS of food color get to get it that dark!

      Delete
  4. Thanks! One more question- how do you stick the fondant strips to buttercream? Any problems with them moving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a very humid place so usually the buttercream is slightly damp and that is enough to make the fondant stick. But if the buttercream on the cake is bone dry then I will dab a bit of water on the back of the fondant piece and then blot it off. That is usually enough moisture to make the fondant stick to the buttercream. You don't want any droplets of water on the fondant because that will make it ooze and the color bleed. If the fondant piece is large and heavy, I will glue it to the buttercream with melted chocolate (either the real stuff or candy melts). Hope this helps.

      Delete