Sunday, November 5, 2017

Cutest (and Easiest) Bear Head Cake

A friend asked me to make a Bear Head smash cake for her 1 year old's birthday, and I say so myself it turned out soooo cute.  Best part is - it was AMAZINGLY easy to make.



 << Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>


First I baked three 7" cakes.  (I like to use Fat Daddio's pans and bake even strips to make sure the cakes bake up flat and even. ) I stacked 2 layers for the head, and then cut out circles from the third layer for the snout and ears. (I had to test different sizes till I found the one that looked "right" next to the head.) I cut out little arcs from the ears to make them fit flush with the head.  Then I iced the main head in chocolate buttercream and then iced the snout and ears in a very light shade of brown buttercream.


I used the little arcs I cut from the ears as the eyebrow ridge.  In hindsight I should have cut the arcs in half so they weren't as tall.  After I iced the eyebrows, my bear ended up with a Neanderthal ridge. :-)

The eyes and nose I made from black fondant.  As a last step I painted the eyes and nose with corn syrup to make them shine and placed a little with ball of fondant on each eye to make them sparkle.


Next came the piping of the "fur".  I used a Wilton 233 grass tip, and a very soft chocolate buttercream icing.


It took about 90 minutes to pipe the fur, but I had to stop a couple of times to refrigerate the icing because it was getting too soft.  You know it is getting too soft if you get a mushy blob instead of individual points of fur.


I just kept piping and eventually finished the cake.   Too cute.  Many thanks to the different bear cakes on Pinterest for the inspiration.


And if you are wondering about the board -- well it is fondant and not real wood!!  You make it with fondant and rice/wafer paper and a little bit of powdered food color.

Here is a link to a quick YouTube video by Cakes by Kass showing the process. It really is super easy


Happy Decorating,

Carol

5 comments:

  1. Made this for my granddaughter's 3rd birthday. Came out great! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your amazing blog post! I am so excited to bake this for my daughter's first birthday :)
    I would like to purchase the Wilton 233 decorating tip, but it says that it isn't compatible with a standard coupler. Do you recommend using something else with the Wilton 233 instead (like a Wilton decorating icing pouch)? As a beginner, I am not sure how to get started.
    I also wanted to ask if you could recommend the soft chocolate buttercream you used for the piping as well?
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, My Wilton 233 (grass tip) fits the standard coupler so it might be an error in the description on the Amazon page. But you can always use the tips without a coupler. The coupler just comes in handy if you want to switch out tips. To use the tip without the coupler just insert the 233 tip into the tip of the piping bag, mark a point on the bag where the bag reaches 1/2 ways up the tip, cut the tip off the bag, push the 233 tip snugly into the opening, fill the bag with buttercream, and start piping.

      For the chocolate frosting I use Bakerella's recipe. https://www.bakerella.com/double-chocolate-fudge-cake/

      Hope this helps.

      Carol

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Carol! It helps tremendously!!

      Delete