Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Cutout Flower Cake

I've wanted to tryout this Cutout Flower style cake for a while now, and I finally got the chance when my niece requested a cake "with flowers".  I guess she was expecting pipped buttercream roses because she looked a little surprised when she got this.   LOL, my family show know by now that if they don't ask for something specific, they get a design that I want to try out.


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

The process of making the flower cutouts was actually really easy.  I just took all the flower cutters I had on-hand and mashed up the different styles. 


I made lots of flower not knowing how many I would need, and gave them a few days to dry so they were nice and stiff and would stand up straight without flopping over.  On the day of assembly I covered the cake with fondant, put a sugar pearl border around the base...


And then just started sticking the flower cutouts to the fondant with a little melted white chocolate.


I started panicking near the end because I  didn't have enough flowers, but I just made a few quick cutouts to fill up all the empty spaces.  I even threw on a few red flowers because the birthday girl's favorite color is red.


So I enjoyed trying out this new technique, and I think the design makes a bold statement.  It is not your everyday birthday cake.




Happy Decorating,

Carol



Supply List: 

Mona Lisa White Fondant
14" Cake Drum
Wilton Gum-Tex Tylose Powder
Wilton White Sugar Pearls
Various flower cutters

No comments:

Post a Comment