Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Square Earth Cake

My nephew requested a map/globe cake as his Groom's Cake, and I was happy to oblige.  Globes are kind of cool all by themselves, but I wanted to do something different.  I wanted to make his globe cake SQUARE.  I also thought a square cake would be easier to make than a sphere.  Ha ha ha, silly me.



<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I started out making the landmarks for each continent.  I cut them out of gum paste and sprayed them with silver color mist.  I wasn't completely happy with the results so I lightly over sprayed them with black color mist.


With the landmarks drying, I started to cover the cake with fondant.  I thought a square cake would be easy to cover, but I was oh-so wrong.  The end result was lumpy and splotchy and just plain BAD.  But I decided that the oceans, seas, and gulfs of the real Earth weren't perfect, so my oceans didn't need to be perfect either.  I also added a touch of white to some of the worst parts and called them "waves".


Next I mixed some tan fondant, and started cutting out the continents.  Africa first...


After cutting the shape, I added some green and brown petal dust to make it look more realistic.  I kept the dry/desert areas tan and colored the wetter places green.


Then Africa went onto the square globe along with Europe and the Middle East.


Next came the Americas: North, Central, and South...


And finally Australia and New Zealand.  You can see a really bad spot in the fondant east of New Zealand.  I tried to fix it with gunge which is fondant mixed into a slurry using vodka and milk.  Gunge can usually fix anything, but for some reason it didn't work on this cake.  The gunge helped a little, but the bad spot was still noticeable.  After a while I just gave up trying to fix it; I figured I would just turn that part of the cake to the wall.


Next I attached the landmarks to the cake using melted chocolate.  Pyramids for Egypt, an elephant for Africa, and  the typical monuments for Europe: Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and a windmill for Holland.



The Taj Mahal for India, the Great Wall for China, the onion dome cathedrals for Russia, a kangaroo for Australia , and a polar bear for the North Pole.


Also the Opera House for Australia, a Kiwi for New Zealand, and a hula girl for Hawaii.

And finally for the Americas: a maple leaf for Canada, the Statue of Liberty for the USA, a Mayan Temple for Mexico, the Christ the Redeemer statue for Brazil, and the Moai stone statues for Easter Island, Chile.

So that's it for my square globe cake.  I was a little disappointed in my fondant application, but the rest of it wasn't too bad.  Thankfully the bride and groom seemed happy with the cake, and in the end that is all that really matters.  Congrats, Brad & Kristen.


Happy Decorating Folks,

Carol



Supply List: 

Mona Lisa Fondant
Gum paste
Silver color mist
Black color mist
Green and Brown Petal Dust
Crocodile Texture Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment