Sunday, June 2, 2019

Beach Theme Cakesicles

I saw the cutest new thing the other day -

Cakesicles!  

Well it was new to me.  I had never seen it before, and true to form - I HAD TO TRY IT.   A friend at work was having a beach themed wedding, so I justified my new purchases by telling myself it was part of her wedding gift.



<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

So what do you think?  I thought they were kind of cute, and actually I didn't buy much stuff to make them.  I bought a mini silicone seashell mold and two sizes of popsicle molds (one mini size and one small size).  I wasn't sure which size mold would work the best so I bought one of each to try them out. 


Here are the two molds being filled with my Slutty Brownies.  The red mold holds about 9 tablespoons of batter and the white one holds about 3 tablespoons.  Here are the brownies being layered together: brownie mix on the bottom, chopped up Twix Bars in the middle, and chocolate chip cookie dough on the top. 





And here they are just out of the oven.  I guess I overfilled the cavities because the brownies puffed up above the edge of the cavity.  But no worries, while the brownies were still hot I just squished everything back into the cavity.  Nothing better than dense, moist brownies with extra chocolate and caramel.


Here they are removed from the mini white one.  They were the perfect shape, and the brownie had no trouble staying on the stick even when I lifted it up.


However, the cakesicles from the red mold fell off the stick when I removed them from the mold.  I guess they were just too heavy for the size of the stick.  But I just took hunks of the brownie mixture and stuffed it into the white mold and made more of the mini cakesicles.

To complete the Beachy Cakesicles I dipped them in Wilton's blue Candy Melts, sprinkled some pulverized graham crackers on one side, and then decorated with sea shells made from white fondant.  But I have to say the Wilton Candy Melts didn't work very well.  Even though I thinned the melted candy with some vegetable oil it was still too thick.  I thought about starting over with a different type of chocolate, but then I decided the bumpy texture was okay because it was supposed to be water swirling around a sandy beach.


So in the end I was happy with my first attempt at cakesicles.  Now I just have to work on getting my chocolate coating all smooth and silky and luscious looking.

Happy Decorating,

Carol



Supply List: 

Mona Lisa Fondant
Wilton Blue Candy Melts
Graham Crackers
Mini white popsicle silicon mold
Full size red popsicle mold
Silicone seashell mold

No comments:

Post a Comment