Sunday, September 22, 2019

"Oh Baby" Drip Baby Shower Cake - Why can't I get my drips to look right?

Sigh--- I just can't get my drips to look right.  My cake looks more like a tall, melted candle than a pretty drip cake.  I guess my chocolate is still to thin, and my drips too close together and there are too many of them.  I tried to fix the drips but they ended up looking worse.  I even scraped the front drips off and tried again, but that still they looked like shit.   Oh well - the mom-to-be didn't seem to care.


But the top of the cake looked nice with its macaroons, meringues, and sugar cookies.  And my Cricut cut topper came out nice.



The gum paste shoes and block added the finishing touch.  You can't see it, but the letters on the block spell out the baby's name: Blake.  The mom-to-be loved that.




 So another cake finished, but still a lot to learn. I will master the drip technique one of these days.



Happy Decorating,

Carol

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

Supply List: 

Multi Cutter Square Fondant Cutter - To cut the sides of the baby block
FMM Alphabet Tappits - Upper and Lower Case - For letters on baby block
Knit Weave Impression Mat - To give texture to fondant baby blanket
Fondant Crimper Set - To finish the edge of the baby blanket with the ruffled look
14" Cake Drum
Cricut Explorer 2 - To cut "Oh Baby" topper
Clear Lollipop Sticks - to attach to "Oh Baby" topper


2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Are you using white chocolate or candy melts for your drips? I find that candy melts work great at a 3:2 ratio, and white chocolate is closer to 1:1. Love your blog <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, glad you are enjoying my blog. As for the drips, on this cake I used a mixture of white chocolate, Wilton candy melts, and heavy cream. I did some trials with different chocolates and different ratio, and decided I liked the combo recipe the best. My drips came out fine on my practice cake, but it failed when I put it on the real cake. Oh well, I guess I need more practice.

      Delete