Monday, September 2, 2019

Woodland Animal Cake - Animals made with Cookie Cutters

I'm not an artist or a sculptor, and I struggle to make anything 3D.  My 3D figures always look a little scary, oldly shaped, and usually downright ugly.  I wanted to make a Woodland Animal cake for a friend's baby shower, so I was thrilled when I found some cake examples using cookie cutters to form the animals.


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

For most of the figures I used Ann Clark's Woodland Animal Cookie Cutter Set to get the main shape of the animal.  I then used other random cookie cutters to make the details.  For the fox I cut out the body using some orange-ish fondant.


And then I used heart shaped cookie cutters and tiny heart shaped plunger cutter to form the inside of the ears and the white patches of fur on the face.  Before placing the heart shapes on the checks I cut off the lower 1/3 which helped to define the shape of the face.  I made this cut using oval cutters from Sugarbelle.


For the white tip of the tail, I cut out the shape using the fox cookie cutter, and then I cut a random pattern from the bottom using a flower gum paste cutter. (I think is was a tulip cutter.)



Then I just added a white rectangle for his stomach fur, some rectangles for legs, black feet, eyes, and a nose.  In just a few minutes he was done.  How easy is that?

Note, to make the bird I used two different sized paisley cookie cutters.


For the Raccoon I used the same fox cookie cutter (I flipped the cutout so the tail would face the opposite direction), but embellished it a little differently to make it look like a raccoon.  To make his "mask" I used an oval cutter, stretched it out a little more and then cut the V shaped notches with the tip of a heart cutter.


Next I made a frog.  I used a cutter from the  Wilton 50 cookie cutter set to cut out the entire frog in the light green, then used the oval cutter to cut off his legs. (Frog legs anyone?)  I cut another frog from the darker green and cut off the top portion of the frog's body.  Then I just placed the light green on top of the darker green to give the frog the 3D look.  I placed his eyes and a few dots cut from a #5 piping tip and called him done.  (I planned on placing a white oval of fondant on his chest, but I forgot to do it.)  The mouth was made in a roundabout way.  First I made the mouth from a thin piece of black fondant and placed it on the green fondant.  After a little while I decided the black fondant mouth was too harsh looking so I took it off (intending to replace it with green), but the black fondant had stained the green fondant.  I thought it looked fine so I just left it like that.


I also made a squirrel but I didn't like the way his looked so I stuck him on the back of the cake.


The owl cake toppers I made ahead of time using a mixture of fondant and Tylose Power.  I got a little more complex with the layering of the topper, but it is the same technique as the examples above.


I used Ann Clark Owl cutters  for both the small and the large owl.  I cut out the owl shape and then trimmed off the wings using an oval cutter.  I also pushed a wooden skewer into the main body of the owl, and secured it with a little bit of water.   I cut out another fondant owl and trimmed off the head so I was only left with the wing section.   I textured the wings using a random leaf texturer I had, and then stuck the two pieces together with a little bit of water. 


Next I textured some white fondant and then cut out an oval shape for the white breast of the owl.  At the top end of the oval I cut out circles, and then placed a thicker white circle into the opening.  I used a thicker piece of fondant for the eye area because I wanted them to stand out move.  Note: I texture the fondant before you cut it out so it doesn't get distorted.


Next I added the eyes using circle cutters and piping tips to get the sizes exactly the same.


As a final step I added the yellow beak and feet.  I also added a few more touches (triangle inside the ears and another oval cut out around the white breast.)  For the apple tree I used a cookie cutter I found on Etsy.  I let all three pieces dry for a few days so they would be nice a hard when I placed them on the cake.


So here is my Woodland Animal Cake made with cookie cutter animals.  Kind of cute, huh??  Using cookies cutters to form the animals is so much easier than sculpting them my hand.  Give it a try!



Happy Decorating,

Carol

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

Supply List: 

Ann Clark Woodland Cookie Cutters
Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters
Heart Shaped Plunger Cutter
Sugarbelle Oval Cutters
Paisley Cutters
Wilton Cookie Cutter Set
Tylose Power
Ann Clark Owl Cutter Set
12" Cake Drum

No comments:

Post a Comment