Sunday, August 25, 2019

Bows Are My Super Power - JoJo Siwa Inspired Cake

This is a JoJo Siwa inspired cake that I made for my 1st cousin's daughter.  Kinley is JoJo crazy so she asked for BOWS on her cake - lots and lots of BOWS.  Apparently Bows are a Super Power.


Even the back of the cake got a little bow loving.


I thought this cake was going to be easy, but it never seems works out that way for me.  I had a horrible time getting the bottom tier smooth.  Every time I passed my bench scraper over the buttercream it pulled away from the cake.  Grrrrr, I think I spent 2 hours trying to get that sucker smooth.  I had no trouble smoothing the top tier, but the bottom one had me in tears.

But after I got the cake stacked, the decorating went pretty fast.  The rainbow heart was the only piece I had to think about.  I started with a gum paste base cut with a 4" heart shaped cookie cutter, and then I tinted some fondant in shades of purple, blue, green, orange, yellow, and pink.  Note: I used a gum paste base, because I thought just plain white fondant would pull out of shape as I worked with it.


I covered half of the heart with pink fondant, and then started layering the other colors in a curved shape.


After all my colors were in place, I flipped the heart over and used the cookie cutter to cut off the excess.


And here is the final heart.


Once I placed the heart on the cake, I outlined the edge of the heart with white fondant.



Another item on the cake was the number 5.  I used a paper template to cut out the number and a JoJo heart swirl from my pink fondant, and then put that on top of some gum paste.  I cut the gum paste to fit the number and heart swirl, and then let it dry flat.


The many bows on the cake are made from satin ribbon.  I thought about making the bows from fondant to keep with the "all edible" thing, but the fondant bows just didn't give me the sparkle, shimmer, and floppiness I wanted.  So I just made some quickie ribbon bows.

So Happy Birthday, Kinley, and enjoy the JoJo concert next week.



Happy Decorating,

Carol

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

Supply List: 

Top Tier Color: Wilton Teal mixed with a little Sky Blue (they sky blue keeps the teal from looking too green)
Bottom Tier Color: Wilton Pink mixed with Ivory (the ivory softens the pink and keeps it from looking too bright)
White 14" Cake Drum
Sixlet Spring Shimmer Chocolate Flavored Candies
Wilton Tylose Powder
Satin Ice Gum Paste
Wilton 4" Heart Cookie Cutter
FMM Funky Alphabet Cutters
Razor Slicer
ACE Food Safe Extruder

No comments:

Post a Comment