Saturday, December 28, 2019

LOL Surprise Bon Bon - in Cakesicle form

I'm not sure who or what LOL Surprise Bon Bon is, but when a co-worker asked for an edible version this is what I came up with.

LOL Bon Bon in Cakesicle form


Here they are all ready to go to the party - 36 of those little buggers.


I hate the mushy combination of cake and icing that most cake pops are made of, so instead I use a combination of brownie and chocolate chip cookies.  The brownies are a little under baked so there is no need to mix them with frosting, and they stay moist and delicious for days.

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I coat my cakesicle mold with Ghiradelli white melting wafers, and once that is set I pack the brownie mix into the cavity.  More white chocolate goes on the top, and then I just let it firm up overnight before I start decorating.



For the Bon Bon cakesicle decorations, I made a paper template from an image of Bon Bon.  I had one template from the blue hair in the front and one template each for the yellow and pink portions of hair.  For the decorations I used Choco-Pan's White Covering Chocolate instead of fondant.  I think the covering chocolate just tastes better.  I cut out the blue portion of hair and stuck it on the front of the cakesicle.


The yellow and pink pieces were cut next....


I stuck the two together before I curled it around the top, back and sides of the cakesicle.


Next I rolled out some rope from the yellow and pink chocolate, cut them into 3" lengths, and curled them into little Bon Bon's hair buns.  I stuck them to the cakesicle with a little dab of melted white chocolate.  I tried using water as a glue, but they kept falling off.


The eyes came next.  I cut out thin circles of white, blue, and black and stacked them together.  I stretched them a little to make them more oval shaped.


I rolled a thin rope of black fondant, tapered it at both ends and positioned it over the top of the stacked eye to form a sort of eyelid.


I put the eye on the cakesicles and added pink eyebrows, a mouth, and a little ball for a nose.  Notice that the color of the nose doesn't match the color of the skin?  To make the white chocolate match the skin tone of the actual Bon Bon doll, I added a touch of Fleshtone/Copper food gel to the white chocolate before I coated the cakesicle mold.  I forgot to tint the white covering chocolate but once I put the nose on the cakesicle I realized my mistake and made the nose color match the skin color.  I also couldn't get the nose to stick to the face.  I tried pushing some nostrils in the nose hoping it would make it stick to the face, but the nostrils made the nose too pig-like.  In the end I just stuck the round ball to the face using a touch of melted white chocolate.


Making Bon Bon's eye glasses were a PITA.  I rolled out the covering chocolate (stiffened with a bit of Tylose powder) and cut it into strips.  I used a wider strip for the top part of the glasses, and two narrower strips to form the loops.  I pushed the looped section into the top section and used a bit of water as glue.


After allowing the glasses dry overnight, I stuck the eye glass to the face using - you guessed it - white chocolate.  So what do you think?  Do they look like Bon Bon?



Happy Decorating,

Carol


Supply List: 

Cakesicle mold
Ghiradelli white melting wafers
Choco-Pan's White Covering Chocolate
Mini Circle Cutter
Fleshtone/Copper food gel
Sky Blue food gel
Pink food gel
Buttercup Yellow food gel
Tylose powder

No comments:

Post a Comment