Monday, December 30, 2019

New Orleans Saints Cake

Every fall I get a bunch of family requests for New Orleans Saints themed cakes.  Here is one for Evan.


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

First thing I made for this cake was the fleur-de-lis for the Saints's logo.  I cut the gold section using Satin Ice Gold Shimmer fondant.  The shimmer fondant is not as sparkly as fondant painted with gold luster dust mixed with alcohol, but the shimmer fondant looked fine on this cake.


For the black section of the Fleur-de-lis logo I used black Fondarific fondant, and for the white sections I used Renshaw fondant.  (I have been testing white fondants again since my goto fondant - Mona Lisa - was discontinued.  That was a sad, sad, day.)



Here is the Fleur-de-lis all cut out and the three colors of fondant stacked.  It is not perfect, but hey, it is just cake!


For the distinctive "Saints" lettering I used a paper template cut from an actual logo, and for the "New Orleans" portion I used FMM Block Alphabet Tappits.


For the strips on the cake I cut out strips of black and shimmer gold and placed them on my buttercream frosted cake.  The toothpicks mark where the circular logo will be placed.



I put a black circle of fondant in the center so my logo would be at the same height as the stripes.


I purchased a little plastic Saint's quarterback player for the top of the cake, and used a bit of white fondant for a base.  The base kept the guy from flipping over and also kept the non-food safe plastic from touching the edible parts of the cake.


For the jersey I used a cookie cutter to cut out the shape.  For the "BREES" lettering I used mini push letters I found at Hobby Lobby, and painted the depression with gold lust dust mixed with vodka.  The large "9" on the jersey is the FMM Magical Alphabet Tappits


For the footballs I used a sports ball mold, and added the white strips after I removed the fondant ball from the mold.  So here is the finished cake - I hope Evan likes it.


Happy Decorating,

Carol


Supply List: 

Satin Ice Gold Shimmer fondant
Roxy & Rich Gold luster dust
Black Fondarific fondant
Renshaw white fondant
FMM Block Alphabet Tappits
FMM Magical Alphabet Tappits
Plastic Saint's quarterback player
Anne Clark jersey cookie cutter
Sports ball mold

No comments:

Post a Comment