Thursday, January 16, 2020

Fortnite Cake

A friend asked me to make a Fortnite cake for her daughter, and I thought,"Fort WHAT??"

I had probably heard the name Fortnite before, but because I didn't know anything about it, I had to do some research.  I found a few cakes online and decided just to make a few "Fortnite" game pieces and place them on a simple round cake.

Here is the finished cake.  In hindsight I should have made the name "Kynslee" in a darker colored fondant, but other than that I was pleased with the cake.



<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

Here is a side view of the cake showing the Loot Llama.  the llama was my favorite piece.  I thought it was so cute I actually bought myself a little plastic Funko Pop Loot Llama.



I made the llama from gum paste and modeled it after the plastic figure.  The pink I used came out a little duller than the plastic figure, but it was good enough for cake!





Next I made the tree.  I use aluminium foil as the center of the tree and stuck on globs of green to form the leaves.  Easy, peasy.



Making the drop box was a little more involved.  I tinted my gumpaste Sky Blue, used a wood grain impression mat to make the texture, and then cut out six squares and some thin strips.  I glued the strips to the main square and allowed it to dry.


Once the panels were dry, I glued them together using more gum paste and a thick slurry made from a mixture of gum paste and water.


For the dog tags I cut out the rectangular shape, and then used a paper template with the outline of the pick ax and gun cut out.  I then used a pointy tool the impress the shape into the soft gum paste.  It looked like a bunch of dots pressed into the fondant.  Once the dog tags were dry, I painted them with edible silver luster dust mixed with vodka.


To make the "Victory Royale" banner.  I cut out a paper printout and stuck it to a thinly rolled piece of gum paste using a glue dot runner.  I then trimmed the gum paste to match the outline of the paper banner and allowed it to dry before I hot glued two clear plastic rods to the back.


Once all the do-dads were finished I positioned them on a foam dummy cake just so I could decide how everything should be arranged.



For the cake drum I made a camouflage looking mixture of green and black fondant.  I draped it on the cake drum to make it look like fabric.


I then placed my chilled cake on top of the decorated cake drum.


And removed the acrylic disk and cling wrap.  (I use acrylic disks to get the sides of my cake straight and the edges sharp.)


For the Fortnite banner on the side of the cake I cut out the letters from yellow fondant.  I should have just used a paper banner like I did for the "Victory Royale" because it was so time consuming cutting out all the letters.


But here is the finished banner on the cake.    I used two toothpicks to hold the banner in place.  With all the layers of fondant it was a little heavy, and I was afraid it would slip and get uneven.


And here I am placing all the "supplies" on the cake.  The finished drop box was a little heavy so I used some straws to support the weight and keep it from sinking into the cake.


Here I am inserting the board with Kynslee's name on it.  I should have done something to make the name stand out more - it blends in a little too much with the background - but I didn't feel like fiddling with it any more. :-(



So here is the finished cake.  I hope she likes it!


Happy Decorating,

Carol


Supply List: 

Funko Pop Loot Llama
Wilton Gum Paste
Roxy & Rich Edible Silver Luster Dust
Wood Grain Impression Mat
Glue Dot Runner
Clear Plastic Rods
Foam Dummy Cake
14" Cake Drum
CakeSafe Acrylic Disks
Black Fondarific fondant
Renshaw white fondant
FMM Block Alphabet Tappits
FMM Magical Alphabet Tappits




6 comments:

  1. Me encantó tu pastel, gracias por tomarte el tiempo de explicarlo tan detalladamente.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello what size cake and how many layers did you use ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly. It was either an 8" or 9", and I use three layers of cake. My frosted cakes usually are 4-1/2" - 5" tall.

      Delete
  3. Do you sell cakes? I really need a cake like this for my upcoming baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake decorating is just a hobby for me so I do it mostly for family and friends.

      Delete