Sunday, April 18, 2021

Alice In Wonderland - UnBirthday Cake

 A Very Merry Unbirthday to Lillian!  


I was a little intimidated about making this cake, but I worked out okay.  It is a double barrel cake that I trimmed from 9" at the top to 7" at the base.  I should have gone to a 6" at the base, but I was afraid the cake would be unstable.  

I baked three 8" and two 9" cakes.  The 8" cakes were filled and stacked as one tier, and the 9" cakes as the second tier.  Note: I used a 7" cardboard round for the 8" cake tier because I didn't want it poking out after trimming.  

In the picture below starting at the top and moving down is a * 7" cardboard cake round, * three 8" cake layers with frosting in between, * a 7" cardboard cake, * two 9" cake layers with frosting in between, * 9" cardboard cake round.  I placed a wooden dowel through all the cakes just to help hold everting in place while I carved the cake.


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I used the 7" and 9" cardboard cake rounds to guide the trimming and shaping of the cakes.  When I trimmed the cakes I turned it upside down so the 9" was on the bottom and the 7" on top.  I figured it would be easier to carve/trim this way.  I also have Extra Wide Fat Boba Straws in both tiers to keep them from collapsing as I flip the cake back and forth.  Normally the supports would only go in the bottom tier, but because sometime the top tier is on the bottom, I put supports in both tiers.  Note: I  use the Boba Straws instead of wooden dowels because they are easier to cut (cheaper too).   

Here is the upside down cake getting carved.  Again, from the top down is a  7" cardboard cake round, three layers of cake, 7" cardboard cake round between the tiers, two layers of cake, and a 9" cardboard cake round at the bottom.  The 9" cardboard cake round will be removed before frosting the cake.  It is just here now to help with the carving and to help flip the cake. 


After carving the shape I applied a crumb coat and allowed it to chill in the refrigerator.  Note it is still upside down here, and the protruding wooden dowel is still in place.  The dowel helped me move it around.


After chilling, I removed the long wooden dowel and positioned my prepared 7.25" acrylic disk.   I used my Cake Safe acrylic disks to get sharp edges and straight sides on my cakes.  (You can click HERE if you want to read more about using the acrylic disks.) 

The picture below shows the cake in its "correct" position.  The 9" cake at the top and the 7" cake at the base.  You can see the 7.25" acrylic disk at the bottom.  I also removed the 9" cardboard cake from the top.



For the frosting I used American Buttercream.  I used Wilton's Pink and a little bit of Ivory to tone the pink down.  Once frosted you can really see the tapered shape of the cake.  


I don't show it in pictures but after frosting the cake I let it chill till the frosting and cake is very cold and rock solid (about an hour).    Once cold, I remove the cake from the refrigerator, flip the cake so the 7.25" acrylic disk is up, and remove the 7.25" acrylic disk.  I dab a little frosting on the grease proof side of a cake drum and position the cake drum on the 7.25" end of the cake. Once the drum is in place I put one hand on top of the drum, one hand under the 9.25" acrylic disk, and flip the cake one last time so that it is in its final position.  At this point I remove the 9.25" acrylic disk, and push a wooden dowel through the center of the cake and into the cake drum below.   

Now it is time to start decorating....

For the big candle on top (which I made a few days ahead of time to give it time to harden), I twisted ropes of white and Electric Purple tinted fondant (mixed with Tylose (also called Gem-Tex and CMC powder) around a black coffee stirrer.  Normally I would use a bamboo skewer, but I didn't want something that sharp and pointy on top of the cake.  (I didn't want someone to poke an eye out!)


I put a "flame" on top and allowed it to dry standing upright.


For the base of the candle I used a daisy cutter to make the shape.  I used Wilton's Turquoise for the color, and again mixed the fondant with a bit of Tylose so it would hold its shape.
  

For the flowers on top of the cake I used a 5 petal flower cutter, and put them on a spoon to dry in a curved shape. But you can also use this neat plastic former.


For the centers I just used white fondant that I marked up with the tip of a straight pin.


For the white decorations on the side of the cake I used fondant and a rope pearl mold instead of trying to pipe the little balls free hand.  I suck at piping.  I just pushed some fondant into the mold, trimmed off the overflow with a super slicer razor, and them flipped the finished rope out.


I used toothpicks to mark the starting and ending point of each loop.  Just a dab of water to the back of the fondant ropes held them in place.


A few finishing touches on the cake drum made it complete.  More flower in the same shades of purple, pink, and turquoise, and the name made with FMM Funky Alphabet Upper and Lower Case.  So in the end it was a pretty easy cake to make.  And best of all the survived an hour long car ride without collapsing or falling over!  Happy dance.


Happy Decorating,

Carol














24 comments:

  1. Hi ! Thank you for this ! What kind of scraper did you use ? I think my metal scrapers wouldn't curve properly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anu, I use an acrylic bench scraper, but a metal one would work too. There is no curve to the cake. The sides are straight but just angled inward a bit. I frosted my right-side-up (the smaller part at the bottom and the larger at the top), but I had trouble fitting the bench scraper between the table top and the base of the cake. In hindsight it would have worked better to frost it upside down with the large section at the bottom and the smaller section at the top. Hope this makes sense.

      Carol

      Delete
    2. Hi Carol. Yes that's what I was worried about. Tilting the Scraper so it got the top and bottom. I have to make this cake in a week and was worried about how the Scraper would be able to touch the top and bottom and the cake is tapered. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol. Thank you for your response. I was worried that the Scraper wouldn't touch both disks since the cake is tapered. I have to make this cake in a week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mermista, Don't worry, the scraper will touch both disk, but you will have to hold the scraper at an angle instead of straight up and down like you normally would.

      Carol

      Delete
  3. HI Carol. I wanted to thank you for this detailed tutorial. I made the cake today, was very nervous, but I pulled it off because of you. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make this but in a smash cake size. Do you think 6&8" layers or6&4" layers would work best? Tia❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6" and 4" would be plenty big enough for a smash cake. I usually make mine 5" with 2 layers

      Delete
  5. I will be making this cake next week. I've got to say, I accidentally found your website but am so glad I did. You have the best step by step tutorial, love that you shared all the pictures, colors that you used and tips on the decorations. I also have an hour long ride to get this cake where it needs to be :)
    LOVE YOUR SITE! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I read the instructions right, there is a cardboard circle between the 7 & 9 inch layers but I don’t see anyplace that says you removed it. Does it stay in the cake? The instructions say to remove the 9 inch circle before frosting the cake. Please clarify for me, maybe I missed something 🤷🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, Yes, the 7" cardboard circle between the two cakes stays. Think of this design as a two tiered cake where where both tiers are approximately the same size. The 7" cardboard circle in the middle helps support the weight of upper tier, and it also makes it easier to cut the cake. A 5 layer cake would be difficult to cut and server, so adding the the center 7" circle splits the cake into two cakes that are easier to cut and serve.

      I will update the blog post to clarify this point. Let me know if you need anything else cleared up.

      Thanks, Carol

      Delete
  7. Hi! What size acrylic disks did you use? I have some Cake Safe disks in the 6 and 8" range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I have all of them, but the 9" and 8" are the two sizes I use most often. If I'm covering the cake in buttercream I use the disks with the 0.25" offset, and if I'm covering in fondant I use the disks with the 0.00 offset. I have a few disk sets with the 0.5 offset but I don't use those much - it just takes too much frosting to fill the 0.5 gap.

      Carol

      Delete
  8. How much will you charge for a cake like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a stacked, carved cake, the starting price would be $4 a serving.

      Delete
  9. I am going to make this cake for my granddaughters first birthday and have a few questions. First is that a dowel rod through the top in the first several pictures? Please explain how and why you used those. What is the best / easiest way to flip the cake especially if you ice it upside down. How do you get the base under it after flipping without ruining the icing. Sorry I am a novice but excited to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      The wooden dowel in the first few pictures was there to hold the cake layers in place while I carved it. I didn't want the layers sliding around so I put the dowel in to be safe. (I'm not sure if I really needed it.) I left the dowel in while the cake chilled, and then I removed the dowel so I could use my acrylic disks. Once I had the cake frosted, I placed it on the cake drum and then reinserted the wooden dowel through the cake and into the cake drum.

      For icing process -- After the carving step, the cake was chilled upside down - 9" on the bottom. Once chilled, I placed the 7" acrylic disk on the cake. I then flipped the cake and put the 9" acrylic disk in place. I flipped the cake again so the 9" disk was on the bottom and the 7" disk was on the top. I let it chill again, and then I applied the pink frosting.

      It went back in the refrigerator again to chill. Once it is very cold and rock solid, I removed the 7" acrylic disk. I put a dab of butter cream in the center of my cake drum, and then place the cake drum on the 7" carboard round. Remember that the cake is upside down at this point so make sure you place the "greaseproof" side of the drum against the 7" cardboard round. Make sure the drum is positioned like you want. Press the cake drum gently against the cake so the dab of buttercream flattens and glues the drum to the cake. Then hold one hand on the cake drum, one hand on the 9" acrylic disk, and quickly flip the cake. If the cake isn't in the exact center of the cake drum, you can slide it into place by pushing gently against the 9" acrylic disk. Once the cake is in place, remove the 9" acrylic disk, and push the wooden dowel through the cake and into the cake drum.

      I have this tutorial showing in detail how I flip the cakes when using the acrylic disks. https://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2017/03/want-cakes-with-flat-tops-and-perfectly.html

      Hope this helps.

      Carol

      Delete
    2. Your things in baking stuff are very good and I love the cake. I just really love it and I just wanted to say this ❤️💓💓💖💞❤️

      Delete
  10. Hello! I have to make this cake this weekend and it’s my first time making a tiered cake is there any useful tips you could give me? I was also wondering about how many people would this cake serve if I do it just like this? Can’t wait to give it a try and see how it works out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also curious I have a 7” and 9” pans can I use those or should I get a 8” pan instead of the 7”

      Delete
    2. Hi, The 8" cake (with 3 layers) will serve about 24, and the 9" cake (with 2 layers) would serve around 21. So probably 45 in total. But that is just an estimate. The cakes also get trimmed a little so maybe reduce it by 3-4 servings? And the only tips with the tiered cakes is make sure you use support. I use the boba straws because they are easier to cut than wooden dowels.

      And good luck with your cake this weekend. I'm sure it will turn out great.

      Carol

      Delete
    3. You could use the 7" pan instead of the 8" but you won't be able to get the smooth transition between the top 9" cake and the bottom 7" cake. But you could just fill any gaps with frosting so it would look fine from the outside.

      Have fun decorating!

      Delete