Friday, May 28, 2021

Simple Game Controller Cake

This is a cake I made featuring a game controller on top.  It is a simple design, with the only involved part being the controller - but I cheated and used a mold.




<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I started with the controller.  I found a mold for a controller and used that as my starting point.  I dusted the mold with cornstarch and then pushed Rice Crispy Treats into the mold, making sure to fill all the tiny crevices. (The cornstarch keeps the gooey treats from sticking.)  Then I rolled out black fondant and draped it over the controller formed with the treats. It looked okay, but I didn't think there was enough height and definition in the button areas.  The mold is actually really shallow.

So I used my handy-dandy Creality 3D printer to help with the problem.  I printed some circles and plus symbols to match the size of the original mold, and placed my cutouts into position.  You can see my cutters in this picture - they are blue.  I also used some tiny circle cutters to cut the yellow, blue, green, and red buttons.  If you are intrigued by the use of a 3D printer in cake decorating, check out my post HERE.


I also used the 3D printer to cut the letters and numbers used on the cake.  I know I could just print a paper template and cut the objects from that, but I like the crisp lines that using a fondant cutter gives me.  And I also just love using my printer.  So like I said - a pretty easy cake to make.


Happy Decorating,

Carol

9 comments:

  1. I love this cake...my husband and I have been debating the color you used on the "Game On" cake. Is it white or light blue? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The top cake is white. LOL. I guess the lighting give it a hint of blue.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi, In the post above I have a link where you can order the controller mold on Amazon.

      Delete
  3. What fonts did you use for the letters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with a font named Heavy Copper (dafonts.com) but I had to make some changes to make it more fondant cutter friendly.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!

      Delete
  4. What sizes are the two cakes?

    ReplyDelete