Saturday, July 13, 2024

Flamingo Tropical Cake

Flamingo / Tropical cakes are always popular.  I usually get at least one a year.  Here is 2024's offering.  The cake was for two little girls that were sharing a cake & party.  I wasn't sure how to arrange the names on the cake, so I took pictures of three different versions and let the customer decide.

So version 1 - without the names:


   Version 2:


And Version 3:  


I think I like Version 2 the best, but the customer wanted Version 3.

And here are different views of the cake...




And here are all the decorations before they went on the cake;



<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>


For the tropical green leaves, I used these cutters.  For the hibiscus flowers I used this cutter.  For the flamingo and pineapple I made a cutter using my 3D printer.  Here is the sketch for the flamingo.


And this is for the pineapple. 






Happy Decorating,

Carol

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! What fondant are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I use Wilton fondant for all the decorations. I mix the fondant with CMC powder so the fondant dries rock hard.

      Delete
  2. Thank for replying! Do you use wilton to cover your cakes aswell? Do you have a newest “fondant comparison” post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get requests for fondant covered cakes very often, but when I do I just use Wilton. I tell everyone to just remove the fondant before cutting the cake. LOL

      I don't do the fondant comparisons anymore because every time I found a fondant that I really liked it was discontinued after a few years. It was so frustrating that I gave up trying to find something better than Wilton. Seems like the only other fondant option is Satin Ice, and I never liked working with that brand.

      Delete
  3. I used to make cakes, I liked fondarific but it is discontinued now. I don’t like Satin Ice either. I used some wilton, good to work with but the taste is not good. I want to go back to cake decorating I am doing some research on fondant. I liked Saracino but too expensive. Thanks for taking your time to reply back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the only two big players left to choose from are Wilton and Satin Ice. Not much of a choice.

      Delete