Sunday, November 26, 2023

Disco Cow Girl Cakes

Apparently Disco Cow Girl party themes were big in 2023.  I made two of them within a few weeks.  The first cake has more of the cow girl theme going on...


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

For the #2, hat, boot, and cow spots, I made some fondant cutters using my trusty 3D printer.  For the #2 topper I made two cutters, one slightly larger than the other.  I used Wilton's Pink with the larger cutter and White for the smaller #2 cutter.  The cow spots were made with black fondant.  For fondant toppers, I mix the fondant with some Gum-Tex / Tylos Powder / CMC Powder (all names for the same stuff).  The powder makes the fondant dry to a rock-hard consistency and allows it to stand upright without any support. 


The hat and boot...






The cake itself is an 8" chocolate on the bottom and a 6" almond cake on the top.  Don't you just love chocolate cake???  Here is the cake getting its crumb coat.


Both cakes are frosted with white American Buttercream, and then I made the border using a Pie Crust Impression Mold.  Doesn't it look like rope?



After getting the cake stacked and frosted, it was just a matter of placing all the decorations.  These are the Disco Balls I used.  They are not the best quality: gaps and missing pieces of mirror plastic, but they were good enough for cake decorations.

So here is the finished cake...


The second "Disco" cake I made had less of a Cow Girl theme.  This cake used Pink and White acrylic balls in addition to the disco balls.  I made the name using my Cricut Air Explorer.  I hot glued the cardstock paper to a 2mm 1/16" acrylic rod, and kept the cardstock away from the buttercream.  Be warned that cardstock will absorb the grease from the buttercream and get all splotchy.  So make sure they don't touch!


I also made a smash cake for this customer. I used buttercream for the cow spots because I don't like putting fondant on smash cakes.



So, two Disco Cow Girl themed cakes just a few weeks apart.  What are the odds?


Happy Decorating,

Carol




No comments:

Post a Comment