Saturday, January 20, 2024

Highland Cow Cake with Flowers

I thought the Highland Cow trend was over, but I guess not.  This one includes the cow and an explosion of flowers.


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

This cake is a 5" round on top and an 8" on the bottom.  Each tier is about 5" tall.  I made the gum paste flowers ahead of time, so on decorating day is was a snap to put together.  I have roses, chrysanthemumscarnations, hydrangeas, and a generic 5 petal daisy flower that I used this veiner on.

For the cow's horns, eyes, and nose/mouth I used the pattern below.  I made cutters using my 3D printer, but you could just cut them out by hand. To make the nostrils of the cow's nose more noticeable, I dusted them with some ColorPop Petal Dust Brown #9.  To make the horns, I mixed some CMC powder (makes the fondant dry rock hard) with white fondant and then rolled out a long sausage shape to fit the size of the horn cutter.  Then I inserted a bamboo skewer into the horn and finally pushed and molded the fondant into the curved shaped. I didn't use the cutter to cut out the horn because I didn't want the horns to be flat.  Instead the cutter was a template, and I used it to mold the long tube of fondant into the appropriate shape.  


The thin pink line of fondant around the base of the bottom tier was made using the JEM Strip Cutter #2.  I love these strip cutters, I have them in all sizes.  They come in so handy. 

For the top tier I finished the cake as I normally do (using my acrylic discs to get straight sides and flat top), and then I used a Wilton Grass Tip to make the cow's hair.  It was an easy although time-consuming process.  I used about 400grams of buttercream to coat the 5" round by 5" tall cake in "hair".


Here are some other views of the flowers....







So, this was an interesting cake to make, too bad the party was canceled due to all the snow, sleet, and icy roads.  Damn you Mother Nature!


Happy Decorating,

Carol

1 comment: