Sunday, January 14, 2024

Party Dino Cake - So Cute and Easy to make

Some cakes are easy to make, yet the finished product still looks impressive.  Take this cute little Party Dino cake for example.


As with all my cakes, I made some fondant cutters to help make the decorations.  I used my 3D printer to make the cutters, but you could just use paper templates and cut them out by hand. I wasn't sure what size hat/banner I was going to use, so I made several sizes.  I also made several sizes for the plates that line the back and neck of the dinosaur.  (For more into on using a 3D printer to make cookie and fondant cutters, click HERE.)


<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

For the dinosaur I used Wilton green fondant mixed with some Juniper Green food gel.  I thought the packaged Wilton green fondant was a little too bright, so I toned it down with the Juniper Green.  Then to a small blob of green fondant I mixed a lot of the Juniper Green to make a really dark shade for the back plates, the lettering, and the leaves.   Once all the back plates were cut, I stuck them to the body of the dinosaur with a touch of water.  For the mouth, eye, and nose I used black fondant


For the dinosaur's party hat, I mixed Wilton Orange food gel to white fondant, but I thought the color was too orangey so I added a touch of red.  The yellow is just a mixture of Wilton Yellow fondant and white fondant.  While the fondant of the dinosaur and the party hat were still soft, I stuck the two together with a touch of water.  Once the dinosaur was assembled, I put it to the side and allowed it to dry.

For the #1 topper I took my orange fondant and added some Gum-Tex/Tylos/CMC powder to it.  The Gum-Tex will make the fondant dry rock hard, and allow it to stand upright on its own.   I added the Gum-Tex to the green fondant I used for the dinosaur plates, and made some additional plates to go on the #1.  While the number and plates were still soft, I stuck them together with a touch of water, and then allowed them to dry flat.  Once the #1 was dry, I used some melted orange candy melts to glued a bamboo skewer to the back of the #1.


On decorating day all the decorations were premade, so I just needed to arrange everything onto the cake.  The cake is 8" and I have it sitting on a white 12" cake drum.  The final touch was to add a black ribbon to the edge of the drum.


Now wasn't that EASY!



Happy Decorating,

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment