Sunday, June 27, 2021

Among Us Cake

Among Us Cake - now this is a video game I might actually enjoy.  My nick-name at work just happens to be The Ninja Assassin. 


In case you don't know (I didn't, I had to research it), Among Us is a video game with 4-10 players who are trying to prep their spaceship for departure, but the crew members must contend with one player, the imposter, who is bent on killing everyone.

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to ear fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

The cake started with the crew members which I made from fondant mixed with Tylose (also called Gum-Tex and CMC).  I made a cookie cutter using my 3D printer, but in hindsight I should have just formed the crew member by hand.  The cutter gave the thick side of the fondant a messy/torn look.   I have a Creality Ender 3 v2 3D printer and I love it.   If you want to read an intro into 3D printers for cookie cutters you can read my post HERE.

But the cutter did come in hand for making the mask and backpack.

The cake itself was frosted with a space/galaxy look.  It is actually easy to do.  I put a base coat of white on the cake, dabbed on black, purple and navy blue frosting, and then smeared everything together using a bench scraper.  And the best part of this technique is that it is supposed to look messy.  You don't have to worry about air pockets or bumps/groves.   But I still use my acrylic disks to get the straight sides and sharp edges.  You can read about the process in my blog post HERE.


 After the cake was stacked it was just a matter of placing the figures on the cake.  I made an AC vent for the Imposter to pop out of, the Imposter uses the vent to move from room to room, and I gave him hands because he had just thrown a knife.  Usually the characters are shown without hands.


And below is shown the Imposter's latest victim with a knife in his face. The knife is made from gum paste, and it is painted with gold and silver metallic food color.  And see how rough the side of the figure is.  The cutter did that, and I don't like it!  I tried to smooth the rough areas with a wet finger, but that didn't help much.


For the letters on the cake I used FMM Tapp-Its Magical Alphabet set.

So here is the finished cake again.  And is it my imagination, or do the the crew member on top look concerned???  They need to find the Imposter before more crew members die!




Happy Decorating,

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment