Friday, November 19, 2021

Boho Rainbow Cake

Here is a Boho inspired cake that I made recently.  I tried to match the colors in the rainbow to the balloon arch that was being used at the party, but in the end my colors were a little less pink than the rest of the decorations.  Oh well....

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I used gum paste and a peony cutter to make the big flower.


And macarons with simple leaves and spiky lavender-shaped flowers for filler.  My cousin didn't want anything too frou-frou. 

The rainbow was the hardest part of this cake to make.  At first I thought about making it out of yarn, but in the end I just made it from fondant (mixed with lots and lots of Tylose/Gum-Tex/CMC powder to make it stiff).  I also used an armature of wire to help support the fondant rainbow.  I used my ACE fondant extruder to make the rope shaped strands and placed the rope stand next to the curved lengths of wire.  Originally I tried to push the wire through the fondant rope, but that didn't work very well.  I guess the rope was just too long.  Here is the first fondant rope with wire pressed against both side.

Then I placed the second fondant rope next to the first and glued them together with water.   

On the front side of the rainbow the wires were completely hidden, but a few hours later when I flipped it over, I found that the wires where still showing through.  You can see I had to place some extra fondant to hide the wires.  It didn't look very neat, but it was the back side so hopefully no one noticed.  In the picture below you can see where I covered two of the wires with beige fondant, and I am about to cover the other two with the peachy fondant.


For the itself cake I made an 11" round bottom tier that was about 3" tall.  The upper tier is a double barrel 8" round cake that is about 7-1/2" tall.   I offset the top tier so I would have enough room for the base of the rainbow to sit.   I also didn't have a 14" white cake drum, so I had to use a black drum and cover it in beige fondant.  I used this fancy patterned impression mat to make the pattern in the fondant before covering the drum.  Note the edge of the black drum will be covered in ribbon at a later point.


I also used the Wilton Pie Edge Mold to make the beaded edges around the base of the cakes.  I always end up with a gap between the bottom and top tier.  It is so frustrating. 


After stacking the cakes it was just a matter of placing the rainbow and adding the flowers and macarons.  Easy stuff.  And here is the cake at the party.  They didn't have everything setup yet, but you can see that my colors matched the banner a lot closer than those pink balloons.   I should have put more pinky-pink in the rainbow.



Happy Decorating,

Carol



2 comments:

  1. For the gap between the two tiers, use buttercream and use your finger to smooth it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for the tip, but I refrigerate my cakes and I've found when I use buttercream between the two tiers the thin buttercream patch will crack from the cold and the opening becomes visible again. Is there a way to keep the buttercream patch from cracking?

      Carol

      Delete