Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Chocolate Sphere Cake

 A chocolate sphere cake should be easy to make, right?  Throw a few spheres on and call it a day.  Well take my word for it -  it is NOT easy!


I've made Chocolate Cocoa Bombs before so I thought this cake would be easy to throw together.  Well, making one or two bombs isn't a issue but when you make seventy-five of these chocolate babies (in all different sizes and colors) you start praying for someone to put you out of your misery.    

<< Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.>>

I used four different sized silicone sphere molds and filled them with dark, milk, and white Merckens melting wafers.   I also used peanut butter flavored candy melts that I picked up a Michaels.  In addition to the spheres, I used mini candy coated chocolate balls and some sugar pearls in goldsilver, and black.   



Here is the cake itself.  All stacked and waiting for the spheres to be placed.  It is a 6" top tier, a 9" bottom tier, and a 14" cake drum.  I placed white sugar pearls around the top tier to hide the gap/seam.


Then I started the tedious part of placing the spheres.  I placed the largest spheres first, and I used plastic picks inserted into the cake to help support the weight of the monster spheres.  Melt chocolate was used to "glue" the sphere to the pick and to glue the spheres to each other.  Freeze spray is a must when making a cake like this.  The freeze spray instantaneously hardens the melted chocolate and lets you quickly place the spheres.  But be careful because once the chocolate glue hardens, it is almost impossible to move the spheres without breaking them.


When I was "finished" placing the spheres, I had a lot of openings that were too small for a sphere and too large for a sugar pearl.  To fill up these gaps I made balls from Choco-Pan white modeling chocolate and stuck those in the openings.  The modeling chocolate worked great because I could make the ball the exact size I needed.  The modeling chocolate was also firm enough to hold its shape but sticky enough to cling to the chocolate spheres without the need for more melted chocolate glue.

So here is the finished cake again.  I hope those sphere don't fall off during transport!


 

Happy Decorating,

Carol








No comments:

Post a Comment